Here is a picture of the High St taken in about 1920. The view today is not so different with the Public Hall dominating this part of the street as it has since Victorian times. There are a couple of things to note. First this was before pavements were installed and the muddy mess extends from one side to the other with just a couple of small gutters dug at the side of the “road”. Second, while there is a telephone pole, there are no electricity poles. People still relied on candles or oil lamps and batteries for the radio if they had one. The third notable difference – bicycles but no cars! Just a few cart tracks in the mud.