December 2018

This huge rambling thatched house was on the High St. where the post office and adjoining buildings are today. This picture was probably taken about 1900. It is not known whether the building was demolished or burnt down – which was the fate of many thatched houses if sparks from the fire landed on the roof. The building was probably several hundred years old when this was taken as evidenced by the huge chimney which would have been over a large open fireplace – providing the only heating and cooking in the house. It’s sad that this house is no longer with us but the cost of maintaining and refurbishing would have been much higher than the cost of the new buildings that replaced it.